The term Peptide refers to a short chain of amino acids that are made of two or more amino acids, such as 2,3,4, etc. The chemical bond linking the amino acids is called a peptide bond. When more than twenty amino acids form a chain, it is called polypeptide and if it is more than fifty amino acids, it is called protein.
In simpler words, they are smaller editions of protein. Both proteins and peptides are vital segments of cells that perform essential biological functions and are found in all living organisms. Peptides are the stimulus of various treatments.
Peptides are classified based on their functions in the human body, their source that is if they are plant-based or animal-based and according to the number of amino acids forming the chain. Peptides are found in several cosmetic and health products because of their muscle-building, anti-aging, and antioxidants properties. Peptides boost the levels of hormones that are naturally occurring in the body to support an active lifestyle.
The function of Peptides in the human body
- It is easier for the body to absorb peptides than proteins since they are smaller and less structured than proteins. The intestines and skin can be penetrated by the peptides more effortlessly than proteins and hence they reach the bloodstream more rapidly.
- The creatine peptide supplements contribute to the building of muscle and also helps in muscle repair. People enthusiastic about fitness have been taking creatine protein powder for years, now creatine peptides are also gaining popularity as they are easier to digest and cause fewer problems related to digestion. For example, a lot of people buy AOD 9604 peptides to regulate the body’s metabolism. The supplements contain peptides that might be plant-based or animal-based protein, which includes flaxseed, eggs, milk, etc.
- The bioactive peptides are beneficial for the human body and have an optimistic impact on health. The bioactive peptides have many health benefits like improving immune function, reducing inflammation, eradicating microbes, and acting as antioxidants.
- The collagen peptides are beneficial for improving skin health and slowing down the aging process. The collagen peptides are smaller fragments of collagen proteins that the body can take in more easily. They are said to improve the hydration and elasticity of the skin and treat wrinkles. A lot of skincare formulas and skin creams have peptides as they have positive impacts on aged skin.
- Collagen peptides also help in healing the wounds quicker. The peptides that boost the collagen can renew the skin. Antimicrobial peptides can help the body fight against bacteria. Several antimicrobial peptides are used to treat diseases like pneumonia, HIV, and other infections.
Is it safe to take peptides?
Along with several health benefits, peptides also have some side effects like increased water retention which is a symbol of its overdose, increased appetite, high blood pressure, joint pain, decreased fertility, itchiness, etc.
Peptides occur in protein-rich foods in general therefore it is not necessary to take them through external sources like supplements, moreover it is necessary to consult a doctor or a nutritionist before starting with any kind of supplements. Though peptides are safe in general it is important to buy them from reputed brands and reliable sources.